Body work help and advice needed....

I've always thought something seemed "fishy" about the rear end of my car,
and just found out what.  In the process of replacing the rear bumper I
finally looked a little closer at a cracked piece of "metal" along the
lower portion of the rear bottom 6 inches or so.   Looks like the previous
owner backed in to something and someone fixed by slopping on up to 1/2
inch of bondo (that pretty pink stuff!...not) in places.  The panel then
continued to rust through in at least one place so far (about a 1" hole).

So here's the questions:

1. Do I have the panel repaired (welding,bodywork, etc....)? It would be
the entire width of the car....

or

2. I have access to a new rear panel for free (its the european panel
too!).  Should I just have the entire panel replaced?

I'm open to all and any opinions.  I guess I'm looking for what would be
the cheaper way to go, although I know the new panel is probably the best
way.   I'm going to visit a body shop tomorrow and want to have a little
clue before I go....

Thanks! Now back to chipping away bondo.....

Greg :)

Greg Davis
1985 Scirocco
Member Cincinnati Volkswagen Club
"GAK Motorsports.....Your source for European License Plates!"
http://members.iglou.com/scirocco  (Watch for coming changes and new
                                     products too!)