Re: Transfer/fuel pump woes?

At 11:59 PM 4/14/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Just in the last couple days I've started having problems with my 16V.
>Symptoms are: a whining-type sound coming from under the car, towards the
>back; occasional hesitation, not necessarily under load; stalling when
>going over speed bumps and/or heavy braking; and a slightly different
>sound coming from the rear when the fuel pump (?) is activated before the
>starter.  I'm pretty sure that either the fuel pump or transfer pump is
>bad, but I haven't done any investigation and don't know which.  Bentley
>is not helpful either at this stage.  Can anyone tell me which pump has
>gone in the toilet?  I'm worried that the way things are going the car
>will be undriveable in a few days.....

First thing I would do is check the electrical connections to the pump.
They're in a hostile environment and can make rather poor connection over
time.

If you do find one pump is going bad, you should probably replace both pumps
at the same time.

The reasoning behind this opinion are that if you have one pump going bad, the
other pump is working harder than it would normally work to maintain the fuel
pressure. This causes more pump degredation whick in turn, cause
s it to fail fairly soon after one of the pumps gets replaced. (its only
money!)

Sounds like it can be BS but this is what my expereince has been. The only
other remedy would to be to use the troubleshooting guidelines in the bently.
HTH

Shawn