AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Greetings all.

My clutch went out on my 86 8v Scirocco this morning.........at a very
inconvenient place (wheeze, wheeze), and at a very inconvenient time ( on
the way to work, 1.5 miles too short)

I have been debating whether I should buy a kit, and attempt to put it in
myself (with a friend with VW engine experience), or to save time, have
someone else put it in for me.
Any ideas, and if I have someone put it in, what is a reasonable price?
 I have had dealers quote me 650-700 (which I find outrageous), and my
normal mechanic quote me 450-500 worst case scenario.

Thanks in advance for the help

Jason Rappaport
1986 8v Scirocco