Water leaks - Factory holes in roof??!

Hello everybody!

I have recently noticed a lot of water on the floor of my '85 rocco
8v.

After removing the vinyl on the roof, and water testing with the
sunroof, I noticed the water was coming out from factory designed
holes in the roof.  They are not noticable without removing the
vinyl.

One question: WHY!??  Why such stupidity when the rest of the car is
so well designed!  Is this a factory error!?

Thanks,

Frank

PS: any good ideas on putting back the vinyl after it got ripped?