Re: MkII Wide Body Kits/8" wheels??Tire Size

> .you certainly won't find me driving this car
> >around the autox track...it's all in the name of show.
>
> Hell, autocross it!!  Nothing to hit but cones!  I've hit TONS of cones, at
> speeds up to 80mph, and have only one ding to show for it.  The occasional
> autocross won't hurt it.

nah..its not the matter of loosing control and hitting cones..it's
the matter of all the stress put on the body kit..will eventually
start forming stress cracks in the paint and I REALLY dont want to
ruin the paint after paing for a show quality job...I've still got my
16v to autox..now if only I can get some damn low end torque.

> >As far as handeling..I don't see how a wider tire can hinder
> >performance? i associate (> contact patch) = (> handeling)
>
> Yes and no.  In this case, NO.  Wider in the rear will make the car
> understeer MORE, which is bad.  There are people who use narrower tires in
> the rear to increase oversteer.  I don't agree with that method, either,
> but it makes more sense.  Even though VWs lift a rear wheel, they still
> understeer horribly - with careful spring/swaybar selection, you can reduce
> understeer, but not that much.

okok so i've never taken autox101..i understand and agree with you.

> It doesn't slip as it is.  It can, if you do (not you, not looking for a
> flamewar) something stupid, the rear can step out (brake in a corner), but
> as a rule, the VW does not oversteer.  Could you put 10s on the front?
> Would that ruin the look you're after?  I wonder about the VWs power
> capability to turn a 285, though.  Dunno.

no, I do plenty of stupid things..and i'm SURE that as many times as
i've lost all 4 wheels taking a turn much too fast a wider wheel..any
wheel would probably have saved me from sliding into the far curb
by providing more grip sooner. a 10" rim in the front would look
bad..40mm of rubber sticking out of the wheel well would make me look
like every honda scooting down the road. I think the to be G60 stage3
will have plenty horses to turn it.

 >..all in all it's going to look 'cool'
>
> That said, great!  It will have a unique appearance!

well, yes and no..I know there are a few other Rieger GTO/Competition
cars out there (I almost bought one of em) so I'm sitting here
racking my brain to come up with unique ideas..ie i just ordered a
set of a3 bumper side marker lights I'm going to have installed,
bought a fuba..dont know where to stick it yet. I plan on doing
something with the gas cap..dunno..I saw someone fit a motorcycle cap
on..and last maybe gull-wing doors..if it's possible, cuz I have a
sunroof.

Ryan