Re: MkII Wide Body Kits/8" wheels??Tire Size

At 04:20 PM 4/11/97 +0000, you wrote:

>As far as handeling..I don't see how a wider tire can hinder
>performance? i associate (> contact patch) = (> handeling)
>eventhough its a fwd car...around turns it's always good to have the
>most rubber down getting traction...decrease the rear from the chance of
>slipping.
>
>Ryan
>..all in all it's going to look 'cool'
>

>much i'd think.

In the performance world, you want the larger patch on the drive wheels. Thats
why you see dragsters with big ol' 25" diameter slicks on the rear and skinny
13" wheels with 2" wide tire patch on the front. That of course,
 is an example of a purpose built car. This concept is seen on most every kind
of autoracing, where its allowed.
In the interest of "Looks", I dont have a problem with the way the kit is
made. I think it "looks" good. My mind is in the world of performance and all
I can think of when I see the car is: What kinda goofy sicko wheel offset is
used to make a 15" X 8" fit on a car with minimum amount of inside clearance.
(AKA, the struts and shocks) Then my next thought is, I hope somebody likes to
change wheel bearings, OFTEN. <G>
First impressions of the GTO body kit were really good on me. The more I think
on it, the more I find wrong with it, the more I dont like it. Its just not
for me I guess. I am still very fond of that rear wing! If it were legal in
DSP, id have one already! Then id be quicker in the 1/4 mile and my 0-60 times
would be improved by a couple seconds!  <get it?>

Yak-yak

Shawn