Jackin' it +

As I pull into my driveway, the pipe between the cat and the resonator (?)
decides to break off.  The person I bought it from had put in a Eurosport
exhaust system.  Looks like it broke at a weld.  Can this be welded back
together, or can I just replace the piece of straight pipe?

When I was down there checking the damage, I noticed that the rubber can
with the coffee can lid which goes over the shift linkage is missing the
lid and the body is torn.  Is the replacement a do-it-yerselfer?

Lastly, where do you Mk.1 owners place the jack for lifting the car, and
then where do you put the jack stands?  The side jacking points seems like
they are kinda soft and they're kinda sloped--not a good surface for
lifting a car.

I've put them under the part where the control arm pivots.  Is that OK?
What about under the center engine mount?  And for the rear, can the
trailing arm be used for a jacking point?  Thanx all, b---------