Re: Paint Jobs and Cost

At 04:31 PM 4/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I was wondering for those of you that have had you sciroccos painted
>what the average rate?

$1700 for:
 -$300 for sponsorship
------------------
$1400 total

*lots of body work (Damn near every fender and pannel had a ding or dent in it)
*Paint and prep materials
*custom two tone color scheme (Maita Blue with silver stripes and a silver band
 around the bottom)
*painted all door jams, rear hatch, under the hood and up to but not including
the engine compartment.
*5 year garantee for fading/peeling.
 Thats what I paid for.

>I'm definately going to keep my scirocco now probobly forever, but I was
>just waxing it today and really notices all the scratches, dings etc etc
>it makes me sick. I know you get what you pay for but how terrible are
>those Maco $250 jobs they must suck.

If your the kind of person who can do bodywork, (Dont be one of those guys I see
driving a patched and primered car with big ol' globs of BONDO on the fenders!)
you can save a small fortune in prepping your own car. The easiest part of any
paint job is the actual painting. Preping the car is the hard part and depending
on how much you pay attention to detail, you can end up with a $250 paint job
that looks like $2500!

>Also how much more expensive is it to change the color do you have to
>have the engine bay painted or does it not look too bad not changing
>that? Also I have would need some minor body work too how does this
>change the price, When I say minor I mean very small dents and cracked
>ground effects on the front corner, Its all there intact but it has
>cracks from running off the road into a ditch. Also the sunroof needs
>adjusted to keep it from scratching the top everythime I open it....

Color change shouldnt be an extra fee. (To my understanding, it shouldnt) The
added cost is having the door jams painted which cost me an extra $75 for mine.
The need of bodywork adds the biggest amount to the cost of any paint job.
Figure into the cost a couple hundred dollars for body work.
As far as your sunroof goes, fix that FIRST, before you have any paint work
done.
Check around and get a couple quotes from different bodyshops. I got quoted from
as high as $6000 and as low as $700 for my car. Another important factor is you
like the people doing the work. The jerk who quoted me the lowest price was a
total tweeker and the work I saw in his shop SUCKED! I think my 16yr old son
could have done a better job on some of those cars.
Even still, the place I ended up getting mine painted still did a crappy job
preping my car and the paint is peeling in a few places. I have a garantee so I
will take it back to get fixed.
HTH

Shawn