Re: Paint Jobs and Cost

Kevin McGrath wrote:

> I was wondering for those of you that have had you sciroccos painted
> what the average rate?
>
> I'm definately going to keep my scirocco now probobly forever, but I was
> just waxing it today and really notices all the scratches, dings etc etc
> it makes me sick. I know you get what you pay for but how terrible are
> those Maco $250 jobs they must suck.
>
> Also how much more expensive is it to change the color do you have to
> have the engine bay painted or does it not look too bad not changing
> that? Also I have would need some minor body work too how does this
> change the price, When I say minor I mean very small dents and cracked
> ground effects on the front corner, Its all there intact but it has
> cracks from running off the road into a ditch. Also the sunroof needs
> adjusted to keep it from scratching the top everythime I open it....
>
> I would love to change the color just to have something different but I
> feel its going to be way too expensive...
>
> --
> Kevin McGrath
> http://www.pelican.net/~kevin
> Myrtle Beach SC USA

Hey Kev!

Weeelllp, a decent (by industry standards) paint job will run you over
$1,000 that's for sure.  But...here's a little story.....

I got my car painted 3 years ago before I went off to Japan and Korea.
I'm now in New Mexico and the sun here is causing my clearcoat to
separate from the paint.  I lucked out 'cause a guy I work with is ASE
qualified to perform paint jobs.  He gives me two coats of Tornado Red
and clearcoat, strips the pinstripes and black door thingy, and paints
the door jams.  His price:  I buy the paint, clearcoat, thinner, etc.
(one quart clearcoat & thinner; $250) and give him $300 plus a pack of
Kool Aid.  Think I'll break down and give him two packs :).  Not bad for
$550 total, eh?

When I went downtown, the LEAST expensive quote was $1,500...then there
was this guy who'd do it for $700.  The catch on the $700 job was he'd
use polyeurethane with no clear coat since poly doesn't need clearcoat.
Lasts longer or somethin'.  After I called around, it appears Tornado
Red is unavailable in polyeurethane so I figured he was gonna piss me
off and paint it Porsche red or something :).  Anyway, to make a long
story short (yeah, right!), ask the clientelle of the painter you
choose.  I mean go waaaayyyy back (if you can) a couple years or so and
check out their rides, se if the paint isn't starting to crack, chip,
etc.  The joker who painted my car three years ago swore to me it'd last
10 years. Uh huh, and I'm the Queen of France.

Anyhooo, hope this helps.  By the way, Maaco is pretty good for a short
term dealy.  Peace!

Steph