Rebuilding 4K transmission

Greetings -

I recently acquired a 4K GTI transmission (to replace my annoyingly tall FF
tranny; if anyone wants it, make an offer).  It has several leaking seals
and I'm fairly sure that it has not had the self-machining problem fixed.
I'm thinking of doing all this myself - but I don't really know how to go
about fixing it.  The seal/gasket replacement procedures seem pretty well
documented in the Bentley, but is the circlip that fixes the self-machining
problem mentioned in Bentleys that cover model years with that tranny?  Am
I being foolish for attempting this myself?

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/