Re: Adventures in blizzards...

At 16:56 4/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

>	Mon, April 1st I left home for D.C. at 8am.  The Nor'easter was
>coming and it was pouring rain until it turned to snow in Conn.  I kept
>going hoping I could drive through the storm as I got further away from
>the coast.  It just got worse.  I-84/I-81 near Scranton NY was whiteout
>conditions.  I had everything electric in the car "on", EVERYTHING!!  I'll
>tell you one thing, driving 20mph on an interstate in the middle of a
>blizzard is not fun.  I was just straining to see the tracks of some
>unseen car in front of me.  Only one lane was open, I should say packed
>down.  I couldn't see the pavement, or 15 feet in front.  The highway was
>closed, but I never knew that.  I actually went
>off the road at one point, I just followed the tracks of the guy in front,
>realized too late where they were leading...then "bump."  The left side
>was stuck in mud and a snow bank a foot deep, the right on semi-packed
>rutted snow. I had visions of me hiking down in road looking for shelter.
>Somehow I dug myself out with an ice scraper after 15 minutes.  I made it
>another 5 miles 'till I hit the biggest traffic jam I've ever seen.  THis
>was the one on the news, 400 cars, the National Guard was even called out
>to rescue people!!  After being stuck for 5 hours traffic moved again and
>everyone headed for the first exit.  Anyway, I spent the night in an
>emergency shelter with a lot of other stranded motorists.  To say the
>least, it was not a fun experience.
>
>James
>

>James A. Gardiner
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>Internet: jg140@prism.gatech.edu
>
>'85 'rocco
A recent issue of Machine Design had a blurb for a 'radar jammer'
that is supposed to be proof against stuff like that. $350. Lost the
magazine, but it should be easy to scout down. They said they will
pay any tickets for less than 30% voer, or 15 MPH over. Sounds like
they believe in their product. Supposed to do X, Ku, and laser bands.

Two years ago in March, my business partner and I drove to Vegas for
a trade show. We got stuck in Northern Arizona for 13 hours overnight
due to a similar snowstorm. Temperature was about 31 F. I walked over
a mile through the parked cars and could see solid taillights for at
least three miles ahead. No help from any source, and no radio
stations even mentioned the problem until after it started moving at
8 AM the next morning. This is why our taxes are so high, I guess.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco
'58 Ghia Convert