Three Ignition Control Modules in two weeks!! Ahhh!!!!

Lee----You Wrote:

>As a former Scirocco owner I had some idea what I was getting into when I
>bought a 16V last week.  The third Ignition control module went out today
>and it's becomming a routine that I don't want to repeat again. I was
>hoping that the thermal compound between the ICM and the metal heat sink
>would prevent the failure, obviouisly something else is responsible.

>I'm planning to open a failed ICM and inspect it to see if I can determine
>the cause of the failure. Short of that, the only other option that comes
>to mind is to replace all the other components of the ignition system as
>well as the ICM.

>Have any of you experienced similar failures or have any ideas about a
>solution? If so, please share your thoughts with me.....the car is costing
>me $1.25/mile to operate so far and the checking account balance is
>dropping rapidly.

    This is probably a long shot and someone can probably reply and tell me
that I am full of it but I had a friend with an 88 jetta carat who blew 3
ICM's in a couple of weeks just like you.  The guy he bought the car
from(Joel from Select Motors in Geneva, NY-->great guy if you are in the
area) replaced the ICM's for free each time until he finally found a bad
ground for the battery and he concluded that this was the culprit.  It sounds
a bit sketchy to me but it is what  he said. check it out for yourself. The
wire runs off the battery and under the airbox and then connects to the
fender well and the top of the transmission. Good luck!!!!!!

-->DAN MAY
-->8716v Scirocco----the "rare" alpine white
-->83 gti---silver and rust