Re: CV Joints going? (Gulp)

At 08:38 AM 4/1/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Here's the story -
>
>When driving my '82 (211k kms) at highway speeds (>80km/h) if I make an
even slight left turn, I get a pulsating feeling in the steering wheel, and
hear a shimmy that seems to come from the right front wheel area. I'm
thinking that this is my CVs, but would like to confirm my diagnosis... if
it is, should I replace all of them at the same time (inner/outer, left &
right)  or should I try to figure out which is the culprit and just replace it?

        Sounds like an outer CV joint is on its way out.  Mine did that too.
Be careful when making turns, don't nail the gas going through turns and it
will last longer.  Be especially careful about turning into driveways, etc
until you get the new one.

>FWIW, I bought the car used about a year ago, and it sat for the better
part of a year until I put the new engine in it. Now it's my daily driver...

>Oh yeah, if it is CVs, how much should I expect to spend on replacement?
(Parts only... I'll make a run at it myself.) <Sigh> Looks like the new dash
will just have to wait...

        I think that a new axle with rebuilt CV joints (inner and outer)
goes for like $130.  The swap isn't that bad either.  Do both sides and get
it out of your way.