Re: CV Joints going? (Gulp)

In a message dated 97-04-01 15:37:49 EST, domlipps@mail2.nai.net (Domenic
Lippolis) writes:

<< When driving my '82 (211k kms) at highway speeds (>80km/h) if I make an
 even slight left turn, I get a pulsating feeling in the steering wheel, and
 hear a shimmy that seems to come from the right front wheel area. I'm
 thinking that this is my CVs, but would like to confirm my diagnosis... if
 it is, should I replace all of them at the same time (inner/outer, left &
 right)  or should I try to figure out which is the culprit and just replace
it? >>

could be a wheel bearing or just a loose axle nut.  check these out, and
possibly pull out the axle to check it out.  CV's shouldnt go bad unless the
boot breaks or broke, got dirt in it and was then rebuilt.  you should be
able to move the outer CV and feel if it moves freely.  you can check wear by
moveing the axle back and forth (in the plane of the wheel) there should be
little or no play.  check for broken boots first though, that would pretty
much insure that its your CV going.

Kyle