Re: Fwd: Help a scirocco owner!!!

> I don't have the same problem with oil leakage as Gregory, however, at
> 98,000 miles, my 16V has started making a ticking or "chuck chuck" noise
> near the timing belt area.  This occurs only when I start the vehicle
> and the temperature outside is cool/cold, as after about 5 minutes of
> HARD driving, the noise disappears.  A Scirocco enthusiast on base told
> me my oil tap might be bad.  What the hell is that (he never
> elaborated)?!?!  Any ideas?  It's driving me CRAZY!!
>

> Steph

This happened to my 88 16v once as well.  It was quite a strange and disturbing
noise which seemed to be coming from the timing belt side of the engine.  What
it turned out to be was a very long bolt that helped hold the
power steering pump sheared off, which allowed the pump to jump up and down
causing a 'ticking' at certain revs.  At least this is what my mechanic told
me after I was unable to determine the cause.  Good luck.

==Brett