Re: Fuel pump relay under dash

RedRocco@aol.com wrote:

> If you just turn on your key for a second before you try to start the car you
> can let the fuel pump pressurize the system and there is no switches needed
> and no messing around with the relay.  I do it and people always ask what
> "that buzzing sound" is and then I tell them
>            Seems simple to me.
>                      Adam West

	Which 'rocco do you have?  All the earlier models of Sciroccos and
Rabbits (up to '81) that I have seen up close do not do what you have
described above.  What happens  when you turn the ignition to the on
position is the usual lights come on, the belt warning sounds, BUT the
fuel pump does not come on.  The fuel pump starts pumping when you turn
the key to the start position.  Which means you have to crank the engine
longer to get it started, this causes faster wear on a few components
and it's alot harder to start the car when its way below freezing.
(We're talking about temperatures that turn normal fog into ice fog and
plastic turns very brittle and snappable)

	Andy