Re: Fuel pump relay under dash

SailingFC@aol.com wrote:

> Saw your inquires about a switch for the fuel pump relay.  Years ago I lead
> two wires out of my fuel pump relay.  These two wires were soldered to the
> PCB circuit which basically jumps the power straight to the pump circuit.  I
> ran the two wires to a discreet switch.  This circuit was devised to bypass
> the relay because I had intermittent failures of the relay(The contacts in
> the relay frequently carbonized and became an open circuit, i.e. no fuel).  I
> now use this switch to pre-pressurize the fuel system before starting to
> reduce starter wear.  Although I used a single throw switch, you can
> substitute a single throw momentary switch to insure the circuit is only
> manually energized while holding the switch.  You can figure out the circuits
> to tap off of from the Bentley manual.  Then you just have to pry open the
> relay case and do the solder thing.
>
> The "impact switch" which has been spoken of, is real.  My company uses Ford
> Taurus' and this switch is located in the passenger side rear fender.  I know
> it works because a driver had experienced it, and all that was needed was to
> reset this switch to be able to drive away.  I think most Ford models use it
> now days.
>
> My opinion would be to leave the original VW circuits alone and add in the
> momentary switch though the relay.  This keeps the sometimes frail harness
> wiring intact.

	After careful consideration of all opinions (sounding a bit like a
lawyer) I have decided to go with the original fuel pump relay plus a
push button momentary switch in parallel (a bypass).  This will keep
safety in mind and I will be able to pressurize the system just before
starting for a few seconds, optimizing the starting, then the fuel pump
relay will do its job.  I may consider the impact switch in the future.
Thank you all for really good ideas.

	Andy