Re: Just an idea regarding supercharging..

At 05:51 PM 9/30/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok A friend an i formulated this idea, would anyone care to remark? Heres the
>(maybe far fetched?) idea...
>so it goes................................................then he sez.....
>Ok so my idea is: Use a compresser (similar to any supercharger)
>However - power it by electricity.  Therefore removing any need for crank
>mods, pullys, possible crank damage... etc................then he sez....
>What do you all think? Obviousl this is just a theory but im intrested in how
>efficient an electric compressor would be/how much juice you'd need to run
>it/ has it been tried.. etc
>any feedback appreiciated!!

Im glad your imaginative. Its good to be mechanically creative so, dont let
others slam you for it, since they might not be capable of creativity
themselves.
At the same time, it wont be practical. Good idea, bad energy. I mean to
say, in order to run the supercharger, you will need to add an electric pump
capable of pumping out enough HP to turn the SC. Secondly, you will have
constant boost which, at idle, isnt needed or wanted. You would have to
engineer a motor to rev with the motor to fix that. Putting a pulley on the
SC and puttin a belt on it solves all of these problems for you. It would
probably  take more power to run your system too.
Its kinda like saying, why not take an alternator and an electric motor and
connecting them together. once you get it running, it will power itself. Put
on a stronger alternator and you can power itself and maybe some lights.
See, it just doesnt work that way. Great theory though!
*FYI* Turbos are totally free energy. they cost absolutely nothing to run.
The exhaust is always going to flow and tapping into it is free. SC's do
cost some energy since they do run off of the engine. The power they produce
is a fair trade off even tho they do eventually break down. Turbos will only
wear out their bearings unless something gets into the impellers. At one
time, I rebuilt Turbos and you would be amazed at how easy it is to rebuild
one of them! All I did was bead blast the entire thing and replace the
bearings. Thats all that was wrong with them.

Shawn