Re: Tire question

At 08:58 AM 9/25/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Here's a question for Shawn and the rest of the autoxers on this list.  Right
>now I've got 14x6 alloys from an 84 GTI on my '81 S.  I'm very happy with
>them, and I've put Yoko A509s on them.  I'm trying to determine if, for the
>purposes of autoxing, it would be a better idea to run 13x7 wheels with
>tires (not sure of the exact size) with a lower radius than my 185-60/14s.

For Autoxing, yes, ill explain later.

>I got the idea from Iain Mannix (he races a GTI in DSP out here with 13x7
>wheels - no I won't say how much he beat me by in my first solo...:-)).  He
>says that the lower radius tires are better because they effectively lower
>the gear ratio.  Is that the right way to go?

Absolutely, it is indeed. The trick setup as of this posting is 13X8 wheels
with 205/50R13 BFG R-1's. It is a smaller size tire in raduis but also has a
wider contact patch. The smaller dia tire help in the gear ratio, like Mr.
nannix said. My next set of tires will be here in a week or so, they're this
size only they will go on my 13x6 wheels. 13X8 wheels pretty much need to be
fabricated. Randy Walters is itchin to get a set made for his GTi. (Probably
because im nipping on his heels in DSP!!!)

>The only real problem I have with it are is the totally and completely
>illegal for DSP 10.1" brake conversion I have.  I'd have to get rid of them
>and go back to the 9.4" rotors to fit the 13x7 wheels, so I'll probably be
>looking to sell the brake kit (Autotech, vented rotors, includes calipers
>and Repco MM pads) if anyone is interested in them.

Yup, gotta use the 9.4 rotors for the 13 wheels.

Shawn