Re: Help ! My car will not start

At 08:28 PM 9/23/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello everyone I ran into a strange problem today.  I'm hoping some of you
>can help me out.  Here's the deal ............ the car in question is a
>1984 Scirocco 8V.  Up to know it's been a good running car, but today
>while I was driving down the road the car just died on me today.  Sort of
>like it ran out of gas, but all at once no sputtering, and I had just put
>in  a 1/2 tank of gas this morning.  The car will trun over and even catch
>some times, but it will not run. Just crank, crank, crank .....then crank
>,crank, crank, catch, crank.
>
>Now i checked the rear fuel pump and it does seem to come on.  I applied
>12V to the ign side of the pump and it spins and sounds as if it is
>pumping gas through.  I didn't check the fuel filter yet, and i can't
>remember the lasttime i changed it. So that is next in line to check.
>
>Aside from that what else can you recommend ?  At this point I'm not
>really sure if it is a fuel problem, but .....  Anyway, It's kind of late
>here (8:22 pm) and I'm not going to be able to get to a parts store
>tonite, but at least i can get a head start on tomorrow.

Basic things that always need to be checked when a car wont run. Fuel and
spark.
If after cranking on ot a few times, sniff the tail pipe. Smell gas? then
you got gas. When you turn the key on, do you hear the pump run for a second
or two? You should.
You didnt say if you checked for spark? One enherent thing about Sciroccos
is there is a little black box under the plastic cover that also covers the
windshield wiper motor. it sits on the driver side of the car. There are 2
cannon pluds tht go to this little black box. (its small too) if you remove
these 2 and plug them together and then try to start the car? Try it? After
having had my car just shut off on the freeway, for no reason, I have
replaces 3 of these after 3 different occasions and have decided to only run
the car with the box disconnected. this is soposed to control the idle for
the A/C system but im not really sure. Its called the Idle Stabalizer or
something stupid like that. My parts man (Mike Potter) told me im better off
with the 2 plugs connected together anyways so until someone tells me what
the box does and tells me why it keeps shutting my car off when I really
need to be driving, I will run without it.
The only thing I wonder about was what did the car do just before it stopped
running? Was it running fine and dandy then it stopped like it was turned
off by a switch?? Thats the symptoms that my car had. a tow truck driver
showed me that trick, didnt charge me a dime!

Shawn