A/C Vent Question: '86 Scirocco.

Hi,

        I've been having problems with my A/C vents for the last few months
now, it didn't matter much over summer cuz my compressor died so I didn't use
the A/C (Wasn't about to pay $900 to fix it).  I think I'm going to need the
vents to work properly over the winter tho as the heater has the same
problems.

        - When I use the A/C, the COLD Air only comes thru the sides.
          And HOT Air comes thru the Centre Vent.

        - When using the heater, outside air comes thru the sides.
          And HOT Air comes thru the Centre Vent.

        - When it's on Fresh air, it's the same as heater above.

        Anyone have an ideas?..

        Would it be a BIG job to fix?

        Assuming it's the vacuum switches(?), are the easy to get to?

        I wanted to try trouble shooting this myself before getting a mechanic
involved, just wondering if anyone has an ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin.
'86 Scirocco