Re: cooling fan

At 10:07 PM 9/18/96 +-200, scirocco-l@privateI.com wrote:

I thinks it's a bad idea.  You saves $25 or so, but I suspect your fan motor
will burn out prematurely and the the savings will go up in smoke, so to
speak.  My temp guage rarely goes above the midpoint.  The fan only comes on
when needed.

Chris

>What's your opinion on this-
>
>My German mechanic wired my cooling fan 'hot' so it runs all the time by
bypassing the idiotic cooling fan switch or thermal switch- whatever you
wanna call it.  The water temp guage never goes up more than half way up
unless I'm hauling ass on the 'bahn' on a hot day.  Today I drove to
Frankfurt at a steady 180kph(114mph)and the guage barely went past the half
way point then dropped a little below the halfway and stayed there.  And
surprisingly it still warms up quick in the morning and it was kinda cold
today, too.  But I guess what I want an opinion on is if this is a good idea
or not.  So far nothing bad has come of it.  It seems the 1.8 runs so hot
with that cooling fan switch.  Anyone agree?  The Scirocco I had in the
states ran real hot!
>--

Christopher T. Picot
Alexandria, VA