RE: Tail lights - could be fog lights

Also, if you drill out the plastic and put in some 12v bulbs in
the slot where there are no bulbs (In the US Scirocco's) you will get the
euro look lights. Its cheap to do too, just the cost of 2 bulbs and a razor
blade to cut the plastic with.

I believe that these spaces for bulbs are actually rear fog lights.
 Depending on the country of origin determines which side to use.  Maybe
the UK folks can confirm this.  I opened up these on my 82 and with the
rear tails on and the fogs illuminated, it definitely looked as though my
brakes were on.  I opted to disconnect the originals and leave the fogs as
tail lights.

BTW the pin striping on the tails lights is great, if you put the pin
striping in and paint the exposed, remove the tape you have 16V tails
permanent.

Rodney Noriel