Re: 1978 Scirocco I

Hi,
I just happenned to be flipping through an old copy of *Car and Driver*
recently, from 1978, and waddaya know, a review of the 1978 Scirocco.

Things were a little bit different back then as folks were not
acustomed to small cars and hatchbacks.  The author considered the direct
competition of this car to be the Honda Accord (remember, it used to be a
hatchback, not the stupid yupmobile it is today.) BTW, when was the last
time you saw on of those still on the road.

The author was quite charmed with the Scirocco, even though VW had for
some reason dropped the engine size to 1.6l for that year.  A couple of
opposing viewpoints were given at the end of the arcticle were negative
only because the concept of a light, quick, low slung vehicle was beyond
comprehension back then.

There is a photo of the engine compartment, and it looks identical to my
82, complete with the old piston style AC compressor.