WTB: passenger power window switch - '85 Scirocco

Help me end what seems like a nightmare.  I'll make my request and then
share the nightmare.  If you don't care about the 'mare just read paragraph 1.

I need a power window switch for an '85 'rocco (I imagine the part from any
Scirocco II will do).  Can't find one locally - none of the wreckers have
them and I refuse to even call a dealer to ask how much.  Anyway, that's
what I need so if you've got one, know where to get one, happen to be at a
wrecker or near a parts car with one - make me a happy VW'r.

Now I know you all love little VW stories so here's what has made this a
nightmare.  The passenger power window hasn't operated in, I don't know, 2
years.  I am always sitting behind the wheel - so I just don't care!  My
girlfriend (she has less seniority with me than the car) started to make
polite comments about how nice it would be to have a window that went up and
down.  I figured it wouldn't be a big deal - the summer would come and go
and all would be fine as it started to rain incessently here for the next 8
months.  Wrong.  Somehow that window became a measure of my committment to
the relationship.  Keep in mind - there are worse things than a girlfriend
who WANTS you to spend time working on your car!

Anyway, I tear the door apart for the first time - learn about vapour seals
(and what happens when you don't put them back on very carefully) and try
and get some idea of how the hell my power window works - Bentley is a bad
boy in his little book and only shows the Cabby power window setup.  With
some help from a kind soul (on this list or the H20 newsgroup) I figure out
how the window works and determine that it is in fact a blown motor as
correct current flow through the switch all the way to the motor.  How much
can one little electric motor cost I ask myself?  Call the dealer where I
learn "German engineers only see fit to make the motor and regulator one
piece which was only used in your car from the years '84 - '88.  Oh yeah
driver and passenger sides are different orientations.  Only $700.00 prepaid
and it'll take three weeks to get here."  This guy had been inhaling too
many exhaust fumes cuz he actually thought I was going to give him my credit
card number.  Okay - wreckers - it took me 5 weeks to find one (and the
wrecker called me to say he had it).  Tear the door apart again (girlfriend
doesn't like riding in car without door panel on!) rip out the old regulator
and squeeze the new one in - figure out the brackets and making it all fit
in the guides.  YIPPEE - the window works (and let me tell you, it pays to
give the girlfriend what she wants!).  Two days later, driving in the city
(with the girlfriend!) and she starts to put the window down - it's about
half way down, I hit a bump, hear an awful scraping and the sound of
shattering glass.  Ooops, i guess I didn't tighten those screws quite
enough!  (Girlfriend - NOT HAPPY - no window and scared to $*&#&^  -  it
doesn't pay to do a shoddy job when the girlfriend files the workorder!)
Guess what - tear the door apart, vacuum out the glass, buy new glass,
install new glass - window won't work consistently courtesy of a flakey
switch.  Cleaned the contacts - no good.

So here I am almost one full season of the year later with a couple of
hundred dollars in a window of all things and it still doesn't work.
Although I'm not looking forward to tearing that damn door apart again I
really, really, really need to make the thing work before I hear "Just sell
the damn car and buy a Honda, their windows work."  So please - a switch?

Chris.

p.s. Thanks for listening - I feel better now!

cfiddes@direct.ca
chris_fiddes@pdd-smtp.placer1.wimsey.com