Re: autox tumarra.

At 01:39 PM 9/7/96 +0600, you wrote:
>I'm autoxing tomorrow in winston-salem, NC.  Anyone gonna be there?  For
>those of you who know him (shawn meze?), I'm racing w/ Chris Peterson
>(CP1303 from AOL).  I'm gonna have a blast.  The only problem is that I
>don't have my autox rims/tires with me.  This means I have to race on my
>BRAND NEW SP8000's.  I'm a little skeptical about that.  I don't wanna
wreck em.
>What pressures should I run on front and back in order to keep them in tip
>top shape?

Ya, I know him. Hes been quiet lately. Not much outta him in a few months
lately!
Ask Chris to lend you his tires and wheels?

Heres the way to figure out how much pressure to run on your tires when you
dont know:
Before you getto the track, put 50 lbs in the tires. (Sounds crazy but trust
me on this, I been racing for a while now and in the autox circles, this is
a very common practice.)
typically, you want the rear pressures a little higher than the front. (
your car may vary but on my car I run 42lbs front 45lbs rear.) things vary
like surface and tepturature of the track.
So to start, set these pressures and set them AT the grid! not at the gas
station!! Use 45 front and 48 rear.
after your first run, look at the outside edge of the tire. Also how did it
feel? did the rear get really loose?? if so, drop the rear pressures to 43.
If not, leave it alone and reset them to 45. (Tires tend to gain pressure
when they're heating up so check each tire to be sure the pressure is constant.)
The front tires; how did they feel? how do the edges look? if you have tire
wear on the sidewall, you need to put more airt in the tire. These are not
bais tires where you have to use tire pressure to raise and lower the center
of th tire. Adding pressure adds regidity to the sodewall. Too little
pressure and you will be cornering on the sidewalls and in efect, can
de-bead the tire from the rim! (I have seen this done once! not fun) Too
much pressure and you loose some of the tires dampening thats needed to have
good reaction. You want to find that happy medium between sidewall regidity
and sidewall flex.
Just know this, your street tires will suck! Expect to be 2 seconds slower
than with your autox tires. I had to run on my street tires last race
because I lost my wheel lock key. I had to run on my 195/50SR15's. I was not
a happy camper!

Shawn