Cold Weather Start

Hey All!

Now that cold's startin' to set in up here, I've run into a problem that's
probably been run through before by you guys. I checked a couple Web sites,
but couldn't find anything...

'87 16v...*Heinous* cold start problem!! It literally gets worse as the
temperature gets colder (and the longer the time between starts). I went
out yesterday after work (9.5 hours of being parked), and it took almost 10
minutes of on-and-off cranking to get it to turn over  and start. When it
finally did start, it died when I engaged in reverse. Restarted after a
couple of tires, and then had no problems.

This morning after 12 hours in a garage, it took just a couple of tries to
start, but still took some work to do.

Any thoughts?? ( yes, I am pretty car illiterate, but that's one of the
reasons I sub to this list!!  >;->  )

rich