Re: A few questions: cams

>I guess my comment was more in regard to the "exclusivity" and "fewer parts"
>portion.  (Since the broad economics and capitalism cover just about every
>reason.  That is "They are almost custom made by hand and therfore more
>labor is involved (economics), or "They cost us about $1.79 to make but we
>can *get* $500 for them."  When your old cam breaks, "Who you gonna call?"
>"Wallet busters!")
>
>The 8v cam has 8 bumps on one stick.  A 16v cam has 8 bumps on one stick.
>The labor, performed by machine, cannot differ much between the two.  R&D?
>VW has lots of engineering experience, ie, this is not their first cam.  16v
>engines and concepts are not that new.  I'm sure thy did have to do some
>testing, but don't think it explains the $500 price. I would guess that VW
>has produced a "ton" of 16v's.  So the cams are not exactly built in the
>same limited quantities as the ones Ed Pink would use for Top fuel dragster
>engines.  I would like to think that perhaps the cams were made out of some
>precious metal to earn that price.
>
>Chris

Not to drive this into the ground, but my point was that because there are
fewer of these made, they are more expensive.  The labor is different
between the two, by virtue of the fact that they produce, what, a tenth of
the number?  Labor becomes very inexpensive when you produce 100,000 of
something, but when you only produce 1,000, then it is more expenisve.
Trust me, I understand your frustration with the price, as it is a bit on
the high side.  But if you understand it as they will defend this price, you
might figure another alternative to the problem.  Testing is part of it, but
not most.  It is the sheer number produced that causes the price to raise.
Look as the prices for memory in computers.  Not too long ago, memory was
very expensive.  Why?  Because there was not that much available, and there
was not that much *demand*.  (that is the key, right there)  When Windows
'95 came out, everyone was banging their computer stores counters for
memory.  Prices went down because demand went up.  But now, the demand has
subsided some, and memory is again going up a bit.  It's economics.  But let
me know if you agree, disagree, or just plain don't get it.  :-)

David