Re: A few questions: cams

At 09:26 PM 10/28/96 -0600, scirocco-l@privateI.com wrote:

>>>Exclusivity.  There are fewer 16Vs around than 8Vs, therefore it is more
>>>expensive to make fewer parts.  This is especially true of aftermarket
>>>parts, but not always.  Laws of economics, capitalism, etc........
>>>
>>>Blah, blah, blah,
>>
>>There has got to be more to it than that.
>>
>>Chris
>>>
>Why?
>
>David

I guess my comment was more in regard to the "exclusivity" and "fewer parts"
portion.  (Since the broad economics and capitalism cover just about every
reason.  That is "They are almost custom made by hand and therfore more
labor is involved (economics), or "They cost us about $1.79 to make but we
can *get* $500 for them."  When your old cam breaks, "Who you gonna call?"
"Wallet busters!")

The 8v cam has 8 bumps on one stick.  A 16v cam has 8 bumps on one stick.
The labor, performed by machine, cannot differ much between the two.  R&D?
VW has lots of engineering experience, ie, this is not their first cam.  16v
engines and concepts are not that new.  I'm sure thy did have to do some
testing, but don't think it explains the $500 price. I would guess that VW
has produced a "ton" of 16v's.  So the cams are not exactly built in the
same limited quantities as the ones Ed Pink would use for Top fuel dragster
engines.  I would like to think that perhaps the cams were made out of some
precious metal to earn that price.

Chris