Re: Reanimate '81 S?

-----SNIP-------------------------------------------
> So I'm thinking along the lines
>of an engine transplant (rather than rebuilding my 1.7 which always seemed
>wheezy).
>for good but reliable power.  I guess the 1.8L with the hydraulic head has
>gotten good recommendations but is the 2.0 a better move?  I live in
>Pasadena (Los Angeles), California so suggestions for places to look for a
>motor along with shops which can pull off the swap would also be
>appreciated.  Or should a klutz like me take a stab at it myself?
>        Feel free to talk me out of sinking any more money into the car
>since my judgement is clouded by Scirocco-itis; plus, it's got a
>mindnumbing list of things to be fixed on it (I guess 200,000+ miles take
>their toll).  Private email is fine although I'd appreciate it if the
>anti-Honda hate mail is kept to a minimum  :)  Thanks a lot in advance,
>benton------
--------UNSNIP----------------------------------

Well, the fact your thinking about rebuilding the Scirrocco is the first
step to Honda Rehab! :)

One of the easiest, cheapest upgrades is the 1.8L (Engine code JH and its a
solid lifter engine) swap. It will fit right in with absolutely no
modifications needed, other than the upper radiator hose. You can cut the
one you have to fit, or buy a hose for that engine. If you have the basic
tools and an engine hoist, you could easily do this yourself. For $1000, you
could have the engine, new clutch, new motor mounts and needed gaskets and
stuff. Id recoment replacing all the motor mounts if its got 2grand on the
odometer. it will feel like a new car! Since your gonna have it out of the
car, you might as well put in a new clutch too. (Be sure to have the
flywheel resurfaced!) Save you some hastle later on.
There are other more powerful engines you can put in, but your looking for
the cheapest/cost effective way to do it, this is the way to go.

If your NOT gonna fix the Scirocco, you need to give it to me so it can be
properly taken care of! I would never abuse such a beautiful piece of fine
engineering!!

Some of your local tuners that you might want to call are:
"Velocity" (310) 643-0005
"Autotech Sport tuning" 1-800-553-1055
"New Dimensions" 1-800-637-2781
There is also a really tallented guy, Mike Potter at "Timmons VW"
1-800-266-3247 who really knows his MK-I Scirocco's. (He has one hell of a car!)

Get a copy of European Car mag and read through it to see what kind of parts
are available and the price ranges. I think WOLF SPORTS sells JH engines
around $450-$500?? Not sure. I got mine from Mike Potter for $400 with the
distributor, intake manifold and throttle body already on it. Good luck!
-Shawn

SmHeAzWeN

P.S. Welcome Home.......