Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

At 10:59 PM 10/25/96 +-100, you wrote:

>>the BHP regs must be within a certain limit of the engine.
>
>I wasn't worried about it because I have US plates and the Polizei don't
>bother us with that stuff.  The windows on my 89 are very dark, but they
>don't bother me or any of the other US plated cars with dark windows. Yes,
it is very strict for the Germans, tho.  They even have to get waivers on
their titles if they want to upgrade their tires and rims to a bigger size!
Very tough TUV inspection, too.  150 point inspection or something like that.

Oh, I thought you bought it over there. Thats a completely different story
then! You can do any mod the US rules allow for. even then, the Germans dont
inspect for that. Ya, I remember the BMW I remade over there was a bitch to
get thru inspection because I had squeezed in a Inline 6 cylinder into a
320i! They made me upgeade my brakes to handle the extra ponies. They got me
worse for a rust hole at the bottom of the passenger door! Wouldnt let me
drive it for that! It got fixed and eventually passed inspection. It paid to
be in an aviation unit and know people in the sheet metal shop to fix the
hole for me.
I get the feeling your an Air Force kind of guy?? Where are you stationed?
Whatcha doing there, the cold war is over!

>>NO bugs there with engines larger than 1300. (Or is it 1600?
>
>I think 1600.  The newer ones(84 around there) had the option for the
bigger engine.  But the most you see is the 1303.

Yeah, the newer ones do have larger engines but they also have rotors on
them too.

>OK, you got me...it was a pretty damn big hill!  :-)  Autobahn 62 between
Saarbrucken and Trier.  You been in that area?

No, I was more near Frankfurt. Just north in Mainz. "Finthen Army Airfield"
was my home for 3 years. Im sure its still there, the local flying club used
the airfield on the weekends so im sure they have taken over if the Army has
abandoned the base. Thats where the GTC used to run in the mid 80's. I got
to see it free! Thats where I saw my first BMW M-1!! Beautifully fast cars!

>Whatever causes the top of the piston to get banged up.  I saw it when it
was apart and there were a whole bunch a dents on the top of it.  The engine
was making a very loud banging noise after whatever it was blew.
>Help any?  I forgot what the mechanic said and I don't know much about
engines.  The weird thing about it was that the engine blew when I was
slowing down.  It didn't blow when I was revving the hell out of it.  Maybe
I let off the gas too fast after having all those RPMs?  Could that cause it?

Sounds like you broke a timming belt and it banged a few valves.

>Oh, BTW, thanks for the advice on the struts, too.

Thats why were here, Mike!

Shawn
Cold war vet! (I got the wounds to prove it!)   :)