Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

>I think you did it on purpose just so you could get the 1.8L!

Really, I didn't do it on purpose, but it was rather convenient!  :-)  What
sucked was having to drive my wife's boring US Spec 94 Golf while the
Rocco was in the shop.

>the BHP regs must be within a certain limit of the engine.

I wasn't worried about it because I have US plates and the Polizei don't
bother us with that stuff.  The windows on my 89 are very dark, but they
don't bother me or any of the other US plated cars with dark windows. Yes, it is very strict for the Germans, tho.  They even have to get waivers on their titles if they want to upgrade their tires and rims to a bigger size!  Very tough TUV inspection, too.  150 point inspection or something like that.

>NO bugs there with engines larger than 1300. (Or is it 1600?

I think 1600.  The newer ones(84 around there) had the option for the bigger engine.  But the most you see is the 1303.

>Must of been a hell of a hill to get 136 out of the old 1.6L

OK, you got me...it was a pretty damn big hill!  :-)  Autobahn 62 between Saarbrucken and Trier.  You been in that area?

>Curios as to what broke on it.

Whatever causes the top of the piston to get banged up.  I saw it when it was apart and there were a whole bunch a dents on the top of it.  The engine was making a very loud banging noise after whatever it was blew.
Help any?  I forgot what the mechanic said and I don't know much about engines.  The weird thing about it was that the engine blew when I was slowing down.  It didn't blow when I was revving the hell out of it.  Maybe I let off the gas too fast after having all those RPMs?  Could that cause it?

Oh, BTW, thanks for the advice on the struts, too.

-Mike
89 Scala