Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

At 06:52 PM 10/25/96 +-100, you wrote:
>>For those who dont know, a rev limiter keeps us crazy redliners (except
for; >those of us that dont got this nasty feature) from exploding our engines.

>Yeah, if you don't have this feature, it's really easy to blow your engine
like I did!  I know, stupid!  An speed-freak American like me on the
Autobahn is a dangerous thing.  Don't know why, but I forgot my RPMs and was
'seeing how fast the car would go'.  I was going 137 miles an hour in an 81
Scirocco with a 1.6 litre in it! I had just gotten here and wasn't really
familiar with the km/mile conversion off the top of my head, so 220 km/h
didn't mean much to me.  I know, no excuses...:-).  But it was all good
because the car was under a 90 day warranty, and there just happened to be
an wrecked 85 GTI with a 1.8i all ready to be stuffed in my car!

I think you did it on purpose just so you could get the 1.8L! You might be
OK with it but if you just got to Germany and plan on being there a while,
you might want to check with local regulations on putting the 1.8L in your
car. the BHP regs must be within a certain limit of the engine. Thats why
there are NO bugs there with engines larger than 1300. (Or is it 1600? Its
been a few years since I lived there..)
Must of been a hell of a hill to get 136 out of the old 1.6L. They rev high
but have grosses nich power.
Curios as to what broke on it.
Rod?
Piston?