Re: Quick help me out 16V from a Jetta into A1 GTI

Hi Shawn (and Kevin!)

At 10:23 AM 10/23/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Im 16V clueless as to what is needed to do the swap into an A1. I do know
>they fit and work since I have seen and raced against a few Rabbit swaps. To
>me it seems like alot of needless headache since you can get more HP/Torque
>from a 10-1 compression motor with much less hassle. Its your project, good
>luck!

The basic engine is the same between the Scirocco 16V and the A2
cars so that is no problem. But, to install the 16V from an A2 into an
A1 GTI Kevin will still need the intake manifold and FI from a 16V
Scirocco. This is because the FI on the A1 cars is on the driver's
side while the FI on the A2 cars is on the pass side. In other words,
the A2 intake manifold faces the wrong way when installed in an A1,
and the FI box will not fit correctly.

If he were putting an A2 8V into his Scirocco 16V it would not matter
because he would already have the correct intake manifold and FI
from his old 16V motor. But, since he is starting from scratch putting
this into an 8V A1 he'll need all the A1 8V parts. Make sense?

I agree, another option is to build a killer 8V and save the hassles.
Something like a modified  8.5:1 or 9:1 8V would give plenty of power
and not require a knock sensor, saving more wiring hassles...

Mark
Adirondack Auto Brokers
"Your VW/Porsche Parts Source"
Phone (518) 882-6534