Re: Winter is coming...

>  I know that the Blizzacs (Michelin, I think) are *outstanding* snow
>  tires. Studless, so the ride is softer and more stable. Fancy
>  ploy-whatchyacallit material that holds better than normal studs in snow
>  and ice. Also wears down to a certain point, provides a wear indicator,
>  then the compound changes to perform like normal all-seasons. An
>  acquaintance who works at the Taos ski resort uses them on her Scirocco,
>  and has no problems.

I'd recommend Blizzac's (Bridgestone). I put them on last year and it was
the first year I had tried them. They were great!...And this was in the
worst winter on record for Mass.!!!

I've used Gislaved's and Nokia HK's in the past and the blizzac's compared
favorably...maybe not as great in really DEEP snow but better in the dry
conditions. Much more comfortable

>  I think I'll definately get them for the drive wheels, but I'm not so
>  sure about the rear (they're not cheap!). My big question is: is it worth
>  it to get new, sheapo rims for the snow tires, so you can just swap 'em
>  out when the time comes??

Definitely go for all four...otherwise it'll be unbalanced and will not give
the best performance in snow.
I paid about $300 for mine at Sears for 175/70/13...they actually had the
best price around for them.

-johnny-
83' Scirroco