Re: Tire pressures

Hello all!

My TP's?  I use 36 in front and 42 in rear on my SP8000's (Z's.).  Anybody
care to comment on that?

> Now I have a nice 3" reminder on the
>lip of my driver's side front wheel to get ready for certain driving
>situations.  Let this be a lessen...

Oh please!  I can top that story!  My friend and I (Brady-has an '85 8v
Scirocco) in the off season of autox, we make our own tracks in industrial
parks.  We had a favorite one, with lots of awesome turns, and, regretfully,
curbs.  Anyway, one cold November night (leaves) after a rain (wet leaves) I
had just gotten done putting something *new* on my car (offhand, I forget
what it was), and I wanted to test 'er out.  So we headed over to the park
and I started on my first run.  The track goes behind a building, so brady
couldn't see me.  After 5 min. went by and he didn't see me, he drove around
and found my car on the curb w/ me standing beside it screaming
"SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".  Obviously, I slid on the wet leaves and
whacked the front corner of my car.  I wrecked:

(1)  MSW Type 55 15'' rim.  @$160?
           The tire was salvageable
(1)  Control arm.  That's a given.  Josh, you probably bent yours.  @$110?
(1)  Right Driveshaft.  20 degree kink!  Bought a rebuilt one for @$100.
(1)  Strut assembly minus the spring
            New Tokico Illumina @$130
            Used Strut housing @$20
(1)  Used Steering Knuckle (found out later that the bearing was borderline
of breaking)  @$60

Then I did most of the work myself, had a friend help me w/ getting in the
driveshaft area (this was my first look under the car except for modifying
w/ bolt-on knick-knacks.

So let THAT be a lesson.

Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco, eagerly awaiting a 2.0L

West Ambler Johnston Hall
Virginia Tech Campus
chtaylo4@vt.edu
chtaylo4@aol.com