Re: was <"Also"> Springs!!

Shawn Meze wrote:

> At 01:46 PM 10/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >How rough is the ride with the race springs?
>
> It is noticably firmer than the lowering springs are but, being the wuss
> that I am when it comes to ride comfort, I like the ride! I have the Konis
> set at full soft for the street use and its very pleasant. Even on I-8 (the
> bounciest freeway in San Diego) its actually quite comfortable. I fully
> expected a full on kidney ache when I got out of the car  after driving it.
> I was pleasantly supprised to learn it just wasnt so.
> One day I was running late for work. My son thought it would be funny to set
> my konis at full firm on all 4 corners. He knew I wouldnt have the time to
> stop and reset the shocks to full soft. I drove the 30 miles to work and
> that day, I did have tender kidneys! (Ill get that little shit!) Full firm
> is flat out rigid! Its also not meant for the highway speeds either. It can
> also be dangerous on the wrong road.
>
> >Do you think they're better than progressive
> >rate springs for the street?
>
> Interesting question. Its not easily anwsered. its a 2 part anwser of yes
> and no.
> yes because they allow for much more feeling of what the road is doing and
> give the car stability and control in any type of evasive manuvers you might
> have to make from day to day. They make the car "dart" into turns instead of
> rolling into the turns. They also give you that "Glued" to the road feeling
> while driving. They made my 400 tread wear tires feel like 220's! I hated
> those tires before and now, they're quite pleasant.
> My anwser as no is for one reason. Road conditions! Roads that have alot of
> construction work performed on it or potholes (We dont have much of either
> here in always sunny San Diego) make the car extremely uncomfortable and can
> also bend a rim easily, depending on the quality of work performed on the
> road.
> It all depends on where and how you will be driving the car.
> If your into autoxing, id say to get the race springs. worth 2 seconds,
> easily! If your just into casual driving and enjoyment of your car, then go
> with the sport lowering springs. They will give your car  a better stance
> while improving the handeling of the car.
> Either way is a definate improvement over stock!
>
> Shawn

Actually, the race springs are progressive (aren't they?)  A friend of
mine has them and as far as bumps go while driving straight and at
"normal" speeds (for me and us Scirocco owners only =) the bumps were no
worse than with the lowering springs but on turns they would kick the
car pretty hard.
Josh Clark