Re: junkyard

john delaney wrote:

> I went to my freinds junkyard he told me to take a look around
> I walked to the back door and sitting on top of the car
> right out the door is a 1986 16 valve scirocco
> that was in excellent shape a week earlier
> some hack destroyed the electrical trying to get dash parts
> If I was a week early I could of saved it. Nice car black on black
> all power no rust clean interior....

Before I discovered the great junkyards around the country I used to frequent Modern Imports in
St. Louis.

They always irritated me to no end because I would call ahead to request a part but I would
always have to wait when I got there while someone removed my part.  Once I needed an AC hose and
they sent me into the yard with a 'dismantler' to point out what I needed.  The donor car was a
red 16v Scirocco, in seemingly excellent condition but it had suffered in the flood of 93.  The
hood release cable snapped and I gasped as my man took a crowbar to the hood in an effort to
raise it.  Having failed at that, the front grill and headlights were next to be destroyed.

You just dont treat a Scirocco like that.

I noticed another Scirocco nearby and inquired at the front desk about the grill as mine was
missing a few slats.  I was told that the grille could not be sold separately but was part of a
package which included the whole front end.

I havent been back since.