Re: Shifting Problems

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> I need some help here....
>
> For a while now my shifting is very sloppy. It's very hard gettign into first
> and second. I hafe to press the shifter had to the left and force it
> left-up or it slips into 3rd. When engaging the 1st gears it feels like
> the shifter is passing through a tight gate..i can feel it give pressure
> back, then *pop*in seems like it went in..then to get to second i have to
> go *strait* down and for some reason sometimes it grinds the gears with
> clutch fully depressed. 1st,3rd,4th,5th all have 1-2inches of horizontal
> play...left right..only 2nd is firm.
>
> i had the clutch replaced..and i HATE this..its suppose to be one of
> those self ajusting..self ajusting my ass....i like the catch at top..now
> its near the middle..bleah but the clutch is good its only got 2k on it.
>
> I looked at al lthe shift linkage etc as in my jetta i lost 1 and 2nd
> due to a broken ball joint plastic piece of crap 2" rod thingy...but
> everything looks good to me in the engine compartment. Could it just be
> my shift bushings? I want to install a short shift kit..but I would
> really like to be able to shift firmly and easily first.

I kinda had this problem. Have you tried adjusting the shifter itself?
(Right below the handle itself)... There's a limiter that it hits to keep it
from going too far left and into reverse when you pull left and don't push
down. Perhaps it's hitting this too early and not going in? Remove the leather
boot and padding below; when you find the tunnel you'll see a plate holding
the ball and joint assembly that the lever moves in. This plate is bolted
to the tunnel twice. Loosen the plate and move it left *slightly*. The
metal limiter (another plate underneath the car, seen by removing the
flat round bottom of the shifter boot underneath) is underneath the pivot
point to the right of the bottom end of the lever. Obviously this is a
trial and error kind if thing to get right. It's quite possible that you have
to readjust this after clutch replacement and associated removal of gearbox;
it's quite picky. You might also consider whether or not the transaxle/
motor mounts are correctly re-installed.

John K. Gates, UNIX Systems Administrator/Software Engineer
john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~john
85 8v Scirocco