Re: Amsoil

At 01:11 AM 10/7/96 -0400, you wrote:
>At 01:12 AM 10/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>I was wondering if any of you are using amsoil
>>in your cars i just changed the oil in my scirocco
>>with amsoil 2000 series 20w50
>>20w50 is a bit thick but thats what I was told to use in my 16 valve
>>oil light goes out instantly.
>>the oil is synthetic and is suppose to reduce friction
>>it costs $7.50 a quart
>>and they say you dont have to change for 40,000 miles
>>I always change oil at 2500 miles and i laugh at the thought of
>>40,000 miles on an oil change (what does your bently say on that one?)

>Yeah, they say that about their oil, but the filter is only good for about
>12,500 miles, and this brings up a question.
>How exactly do you go about changing your filter without changing the oil?
>Do you just drain the oil and then pour it back in?  This would seem to
>contaminate the oil, methinks.
>-Sean Clark

In my world of Autocross, everybody uses synthetic oil. Me thinks that
people are crazy not to use it! It doesnt break down like regular oil does
and it does a better job lubing at all temps. My oil temp dropped by 5
degrees and my oil pressure was good enough to stop that damn buzzer! (Damn
defective thing!) From what i know, its perfectly safe to use it for as long
as the maker says to. Changing the oil filter is important even though your
not changing the oil with it.
To anwser Mr. Clarks question, the oil filter is above the level of the oil
in the oil pan. So, its just as safe to replace the filter even when you
have a full crankcase without spilling 4.2 quarts of oil all over the floor.
You will have the same amount of oil leakage from the filter as when the
engine is drained of oil.
To get back to the oil Question, I think most any brand is safe to use, the
concern is the weight of the oil you use. Im not up to snuff on what weights
work in what climates, I have not a clue as to what the little graph means
on the side of the bottles! I use Mobile synthetic 15W50 that I think is the
top of the limit for temp and viscosity. All the local racers use this same
weight. I know that in colder climates the oil thickens up too much and it
wont flow or something but I have no experience with this since I have lived
in San Diego for my whole life, not counting the 3 years I lived in Germany
and I dont remember even thinking about oil grades while I was there...
Im sure someone will speak up on the info you need on which grade works the
best for your climate.

Yak-yak
Shawn