Re: Wheel Refurbishment

Shawn Meze wrote:

> At 01:19 PM 10/4/96 -0500, you wrote:
> >        I must disagree here.  The control arms are not a point where you
> >can safely jack up a car.  Although they do support the weight of the car,
> >they are designed to do so only through the rest of the suspension.  The
> >only parts of the car that are designed to support weight through jacking
> >are the round jack supports that every (German?) car has, one at each
> >corner.  As to the best way to do this particular work, I would recommend a
> >lift, but not everyone has one of these in their garage, I understand.  As
> >to the method that you use to do this, I would be interested.  Please send
> >it to me when you have a chance.
> >
> >Not wishing to start a flame war,
> >
> >David
>
> *Disclaimer*
> First of all David, we are all friends here, I will never flame anyone here
> for having a difference of opinion, ever! On the contrary, different
> opinions are what is needed to have inteligent conversation. If I say
> anything that sounds screwy, go for it, ponder me, quiz me, ask me. I try
> and make it a point to only respond to topics or info that I really do know
> about. If I dont have all the info on a particular topic, I will try and
> make it clear that I dont, but might have some info to get you guys in the
> right direction. I always try and respond to and fix, bad or poor advice
> that is given that might damage your car or creat another problem. Nobody
> likes to have a 3 month, $2,000 problem. If I know of a easy way to do
> something, I will always speak up. For example, not that it applies here
> but, I found out that on Subaru Wagens, the manual sez you gotta drain the
> A/C system, and remove the engine to change the clutch!! I found out, on my
> own, that the tranny on these cars comes out as easy as bug engines do! 4
> bolts and 2 wires! So, you see my point.
> If I ever flame anyone, I am usually joking and for the record, thats all I
> usually do. I think I have a great sence of humor and dish it out as good as
> I can take it. If I ever get pissed off and flame someone, everyone will
> know since I do have a way with flaming with furry. In fact, I was asked by
> a friend to write a flame for someone else..... different story! ....I wont
> go there!
>
> Ok, now to the fun stuff!
> I agree with you, the control arms shouldnt be used for jacking. PERIOD.
> They are designed for holding out the lower bottom part of the strut and
> controlling the movement in certain directions. I think we both agree
> really. BUT!! One can use the mounting points of the front swaybar. (Not on
> the control arm but where it meets behind the rear mount of the control
> arm.) I use it to change my tires when I race. The guys I race with showed
> me that trick and they have been doing it for years and have never done any
> damage to their cars. After a few times of doing this, I checked and found
> [...]

Dear shawn  All I was doing was trying to help someone with refinishing
their wheels. I have done this on a few different cars with weels on
the front the car. It just has to idle so you can sand, polish.
I also have a jig welded together using a axle stub bearing assy and
hub I have hub drilled for all sorts of vw rims.
I can spin the tire and rim by hand on the stand or using a buffer.
It spins real fast once rim starts spinning it is like a gyro
so you can sand, polish for longer I know a lot of you guys
probably dont have the equipment to make up this jig so I mentioned
the polishing on the car technique (wow) I did not expect to get all
this talk about damaging cv,cvboot,lower a arm
I have never damaged any part from this technique.
I have been a master ASE certified tech for the last 15 years
and if I can try to help anyone with my knowledge it would be a
pleasure.
I am not a know it all. Their is always new things to learn.
(like how to spell I suck and I admit it.)
Thanks to my wife dictionary spell check I get by bearly.
I admit I can be wrong at times and I love when people correct
me so I can learn the proper way or get the proper info.
I love this mail list and the talk of vws.
I recently bought my 86 16 valve scirocco and love it.
after rebuilding half the car its like new except for (Idle vibration)
(ANY INFO ON VIBRATION AT IDLE PLEASE HELP ME)
I own a 1969 buick GS 400 and have owned lots of muscle cars and nothing
handles like it.
my scirocco the power is smooth and plentiful.
at 50mph it turns on a dime feeling like you didnt even make a sharp
turn.
I do a lot of work on high performance vw bugs
and have a loft at home storing tons of parts.

I am sorry if I gave any info that anyone disagrees with
and I do not want to start any fights with anyone .
I just like to help if I can
                             (john.delaney ) :)