RE: CV Joint Movement

At 01:37 PM 10/3/96 -0700, you wrote:
>cv joints have a lot of movement in them i dont know if you have ever had
>one apart

>John,
>You speak worlds of wisdom.  I didn't even think of this.  How else do you
>think you can power your car with the steering wheel locked, doing that
>curb to curd turn.  I guess you're 100% right.

I sure have and they're also quite delicate in that, over extending their
movement over a period of time does thrash the bearings and the races pretty
bad. They have a sweet spot for movement, anything beyond that seems to
cause damage. I dont fully inderstand it, something to do with the stress of
the torque on the bearings and race surfaces. Thats why on some cars, the
manufacture recomends that the full turn stops dont be used. The warnings
mention to try and stop turning the wheel before you come to the full stop.
(No, this wasnt for power steering either but they do say the same thing for
that too....)
>Very Logical

>Rodney Noriel

>BTW  is it better to have the rotors turned on the car or off the car?

It can be done on the car but I dont know how the rer of the rotor can be
done since there is about no access to the rear side of the rotor. Best bet
is to remove the rotor yourself and for $20.00 have both turned. put in some
new pads and you got a full front brake job for less than $35.00. Unless you
need front calipars or other brake work. (This is the cheaper method
do-it-yourself version. Add Ferodo's Race/Street pads and add another
$70.00. its well worth it!)

Shawn