Re: chirping in 2nd...

>Also, I have decided to go with 14" wheels on my '84 instead
>of 15" (so I can keep the same diameter of the tires)
>The stock config. on my car is 175-70-R13.  To keep the
>same diameter on 14" wheels, what size tire do I need to get?
>175-70-R14?

When I was in the States I had an 86 Scirocco that I bought 14
inch rims for.  Later on, I kicked myself in the ass because I could
have put 15" on it.  Everyone told me 15 wouldn't fit.  Just to give
you an idea, your 175/70R13 has a total rim/tire height of 575.2 mm.
If you put 195/50R15 on it, the overall diameter goes to 576 mm.
Get the 15s, man!  You'll thank yourself later!  Those 14s I bought
4 years ago are now my winter rims for my Scala that I have here.
Wouldn't want to mess up the 15" BBS!  :-)  You could even put
16s on it if you wanted to spend the cash.  205/40R16 is only 570.4
mm.  Whatever you decide to do, make sure your ET(offset) isn't
too low of a number.  I think 30-35 is average for a Scirocco.  If you
go too low, you'll have scraping problems.  Good luck!