Re: chirping in 2nd...

At 02:37 PM 25/11/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I recall someone whining that they couldn't chirp their scirocco in 2nd, but
>their friend's GTi could.
>
>I was thinking about it today while driving full throttle and shifting from
>gear to gear.  I've only been driving 1.5 years, and when I learned how to
>drive stick 1 year ago, I basically learned and moved on.  I never toyed w/
>my shifting until today.  I felt an immense amount of power in the high revs,
>and I couldn't believe that my car wouldn't chirp at least 2nd at full
>throttle.

That was me and I was talking about being at low rpms and nailing the gas.
The GTI would chirp, my 16v wouldn't.  And it was in first I believe, I'm
not sure if he can do it in second.  Cruise at 2000 then floor it, see what
happens.

>My problem, and probably yours:  don't feather the clutch out, drop it--drop
>it hard.  Like I said, I never toyed w/ my shifting.  Most of you probably
>have, and therfore can probably chirp 2nd (provided you have a 16v :-))  She
>*will* chirp.  I imagine I might get 3rd from time to time after I get that
>Oettinger cam in!!!!!

Doing a power shift will chirp second, but I'd imagine it doesn't do the
tranny a world of good.  Simply don't lift off the gas when going from first
to second.

>Chris
>'87 16v

Brandon Sommerville

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."