Re: Leaking (posted to r.a.vw.w, also)

At 02:19 PM 11/20/96 -0800, you wrote:
>At 01:51 PM 11/20/96 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>I haven't been successful with Windex type products but maybe I just need to
>>keep trying. However, I would NEVER put 409 on glass! It etches glass giving
>>it a frosty appearance. Sean, you are usually a great help!
>

>Does 409 really do that?? Hmm. See, im learning something too!! Amonia will
>get the armorall off im sure!

Yes it does. The label specifies that it's not for glass, but doesn't *say* why.

I am just soooo bummed. It *looks* like such a together car. But this
morning I had to scrunch down and see through a "hole" about the size of 1/2
a basketball in the misted up window. And the carpet was like a swamp.

>>>Sounds like the old sunroof is now a rain roof. The only real fix is to FIX
>>>it right the first time. It could be just the rubber needs replacing. Either
>>>way, im sure you want to use the sunroof again so sealing it with silicone
>>>or something would only be more work in the long run. Short term fixes might
>>>include a cheap car cover......
>>
>>Yeah, you're probably right. I'll stay away from the silicon.
>

>Also some silicon reactivates when wet, making the job a waste. I did this
>on my old B-210 with a clear silicon so you dont notice it as much. After 2
>solid days of rain, it leaked and rejelled the silicon. (I dont like
>sunroofs, especially glass ones!) If you decide to do this, (time and cost
>reasons) be sure to get an "outdoor" or "waterproof" silicon to use. Just
>thought you might like to know that there are different applications for it.
>

>>There are two levers, right? The upper one works but the lower one that
>>controls temperature is missing.
>>Thank you! I needed some good news. You're a pal -- and a very knowledgeable
>>one.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Joan
>

>Thats right. There are 2, the upper is the selector lever and the lower
>lever is for the temp. After I bought my car, I went through the whole car,
>cleaning and fixing/adjusting the little things that the previous owner
>neglected. (Not only that, I found $4.67 in change!!) I found one of my
>control arms under the passenger seat. Thought it went to something and hung
>on to it. then when I went to adjust the temp, ah-hah!! Thats where it went
>to! I guess the dimwit dropped it and figured it was lost forever........
>Glad I could help!

Mine was pretty darned clean (fooled me!) Time to go diving into crevices
under the seat. Wish I was built like you probably are! {squeeeeeeeze}I know
that the little black knob that attaches to the end of the upper lever is
under my seat. It fell off a couple of days ago and rolled under there. At
the time, I thought fetching that out was all I would really hafta hafta do
this weekend other than starting to develop an acquaintance with the fuse box.
Joan