Re: How fast are you?

At 01:41 PM 11/15/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Listies:
>
>        I think the fastest I've ever 0-60'd in my '81 S was around 13.5
>sec on a slightly uphill grade.  I realize this is a pretty crummy time
>even though I think I shifted right before redline (this was a long time
>ago).  Anyway, my main question is how fast are you drag-racing types
>shifting?  I don't think my shifts were taking much more than half a
>second.  Are some of you guys down in the quarter second range?

Im sure your car can do 0-60 much betterthan 13.5! Bring someone with you
and let them do the timming for you. Ive tried to do it myself and its not
easy.
I think what your asking is, "how to get maximun acceleration? (max 0 to top
speed, right?)
It depends on a few factors. Depending on your cars power that it makes,
depending on where on the rpm band it makes the most power and depending on
what kind of gearing your car has will deermine the optimum shifting points
of your car.
For my car, my best performance seems to redline first gear into 2nd(6250)
shift at 6000 into third and at 5800 into 4th and 5800 into 5th. This is all
trial and error on my famous tsting hill. I measure the speed at a point on
the hill (white line) and determined these to be my best shift points.
Shifting times are 1/4 of a second. Being able to shift quickly and use the
spooling down of the engine helps a little bit also. Ive been asked if I
have an automatic in my car from the "quick shifts" I have been able to
make. It does sound like it at times.

>p.s.  How high do you rev your motor before dropping the clutch for max
>accel?  Do you want to get no chirp, some chirp, 50 yds of black stripes (I
>wish)?
>
>benton--------

The "depends" rule is the same here. depends on alot of things. HP, Clutch,
tires, driver.
Ideally, you want absolutely no tire squeal. The tire making noise is not
gripping the ground. Spinning wheels go nowhere. For max "launch", I usually
set the rpms to around 2000 and then when im dumping the clutch, add more
throttle but at the same time, feather it to let the tires stick before
giving it full power. Otherwise youl leave the 50 yrd stripes alot of people
dream about........  (Now is when that guy will tell me "thats the dumbest
thing he has ever heard", right?)

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi