A/C Control Lever

Th' other day, I moved the upper A/C control lever from one position to another
(I think off of a/c), and heard a pop. Basically, the lever seems to have broken
at the far end. The metal shaft makes a roughly 90d angle, and ends in a white
plastic oval, that looks like it has a chunk missing.

Needless to say, I can't control the A/C positions now!

I talked with a local used parts guy, and he said I'd have to replace the entire
assembly, for US$200-300-new!! I don't really know anything about the A/C
control assembly (and I'm waiting on UPS for my Bentley-thanks mark!), so I'm
wondering if the whole assembly reallly does have to be replaced, or can I just
fit a new control lever on? Seems like I should be able to.....

TIA!

Rich
'87 16v