Re: Best speaker config in a Scirocco?

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Tim Ebling wrote:

> I hope this subject hasn't already been beaten to death.
>
> I know many of you out there probably already have killer stereo systems
> installed in your cars, so I hope to gain some info about what *specifically*
> works in a 'rocco and what doesn't

Well, I have a related question: sometime ago I had changed the factory
front speakers with some basic Pioneer speakers, nothing fancy, simply
solid, 4Ohm speakers, that can handle quite above 20W (my unit's peak
power). The rear speakers have long been deteriorated. They always gave a
nice bass though, so I figured VW must have put different speakers in the
rear. I called Crutchfield to inquire about rear speakers, and they told
me that all four Scirocco factory speakers are the same. Hmmmmm.

So, there are two options: either the previous owner changed the rear
speakers (because the bass does sound significantly better from the
rear), or the trunk enclosure serves as a "bass box" and thus makes the
rear ones sound like they got a much better bass sound (this would also
correlate well with the fact that whenever I drive without my trunk lid
on, the sound goes to hell).

Anybody out there that can answer these? :

** were all four factory speakers the same (I have an 85 8V)
** if so, then the rear speakers give better bass because of the trunk
   serving as a bass box?

Thanks,
	Ilias