Re: Clutch advise

At 08:26 PM 11/8/96 +0800, you wrote:

>Can any of you mod crazy enthusuasts lower yourself back down to this
>level?  My clutch is starting to slip, so I better start looking for
>a replacement, especially with all the miles I drive.  There goes the
>motor mounts, springs, etc for now :(
>I need quality and reliability.  I'm not sure, but I don't think this
>clutch is that old.  They must have neglected to machine the flywheel
>when it was installed.  I'll probably pay to have it put in, as my
>only free time is on weekends and I don't really have the place to
>work on it either.

1 word. SACHS.
Its not really a performance clutch. Well, it is but not a radical kind of
part. Its simply better than stock. I can tell you this much, its great id
your one to abuse clutches. (lots of city driving ect) I forget what I paid
for mine but its been 18 months and im yet to adjust it even after probably
15 autocross events ands a day at Buttonwillow. Not to mention my normal day
to day thrashing.

>I remember reading that it's a good idea to replace the flywheel
>bolts after removing it.  Any other things I should be thinking of
>while I'm preparing to have this done?

You will need to replace the flywheel bolts ONLY because they're stretch
bolts. As are the bolts for the flywheel. I have reused all these bolts
before in the past with no ill effect. (That was before I knew they were
soposed to be replaced) When I did my clutch last, I simply bought all new
bolts for piece of mind.

>Another thing that concerns me is finding a place that will install
>parts that I buy.  I know that's a sore spot at most shops.  It's a
>shame that there's a VW dealer right down the street from work, but
>I'm betting you all tell me to stay away from VW clutches.  This is
>gonna be a pain to work out, me thinks.  Oh well.........ya gotta do
>what ya gotta do.  TIA

I dont know about your area but around here there are places that will do it
for about $160 plus parts. I always supply my own parts so I know whats
going in and demand the old parts. Then again, I do it all myself so im
kinda stuck with the old parts!
Tell you what, bring it down and ill do it for ya! Cost you a cheezeburger!
(I got my own soda thanks!)   :)
If you want some tips on doing it yourself and some shortcuts, lemme know
and ill send you the info seperate so everyone else doesnt have to be
bothered with it.

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi