Re: 16v vs. 8v: Fact vs. Myth

At 09:12 PM 11/8/96 +0500, you wrote:
>>>         The 8V 1.8L develops the same amount of torque and horse power as
>>> the 16V 1.8L at the bottom end of the rpm band.  Look at a horsepower curve
>>> for the two engines, European car has said it a million times.  The 16V only
>>> feels weak compared to the 8V because of the peakiness of it's power.
>>
>>>  The myth of the greater low end power of the 8V is not true!
>>Can I quote you on this?
>>

>Sure, but I really wish I had the little dyno maps that EC always publishes
>to back me up.  The two engines produce basically the same power at low
>rpm's, but the cars don't behave the same, the lighter 8V car will pull out
>faster.

Dan, the 8V Scirocco and the 16V scirocco weigh basicallythe same. The 8V
will out power the 16V in low rpm and the 16V more than makes up for it in
high. Not to mention the redline advantage the 16V has. Tha main fact is
that the 87' 16V's have 123HP and my modified 82' 8V has 115HP. Still, on a
heads up unmeasured drag race I had with a friend, I killed him off the
line. he caught me in 2nd. We never got to third, it was a short space.

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and